Wednesday 12 March 2014

Cuddle Kitten (Pattern)

Cats...

I love cats. A lot. I wish I could have one but this little flat of ours wouldn’t be the right place for one sight. Anyway, who says I can’t have a crochet one – or even many? I could become a crazy crochet cat lady I reckon…

Last year, I discovered the owl pattern from BunnyMummy and fell in love with it. I made at least 30 owls since them. Most of them left home to become gifts but some are still here (as you can see in this post). The pattern was later adapted into a bunny by Janette from The Green Dragonfly. The bunnies are adorable too and of course I made a couple… How could I resist? 
To make a long story short, I always thought an adaption of the pattern would make a lovely cat and so last weekend I sat down and gave it a try. I think I came up with a kitten I like…

I named the following pattern the cuddle kitty after “my” cat in Australia (that is: Michelle’s parent’s cat Lena) who loved cuddles! This crochet version fits into a hand perfectly. I usually fill the cats (and the owls) with cherry pits or beans. They sit better this way and they are very nice to hold in your hand as a stress reliever!


Anyway – to the pattern! Remember: The original idea / parts of the pattern came from BunnyMummy!



Pattern 

Cuddle Kitty

Yarn weight is not important in this pattern but you need lighter yarn for the eyes.

The pattern is written in US terms.

Body (make 2)
1rd: Work into a magic circle. Chain 3. 13 dc in circle. Close with sl st to top ch 3. Bind off.



2rd: Work in the spaces between the stiches of round 1. 1 sl st to join new colour. Chain 3, 1 dc in same space. 2 dc in each space around (13 times). Close with sl st to top ch 3. Bind off.


3rd: Work in the spaces between the stiches of round 2. 1 sl st to join new colour. Chain 3, 2 dc in same space. 3dc in each space around (13 times). Close with sl st to top ch 3. Bind off.




4rd: Work into the stiches of round 3. Start between two three dc clusters . 1 sl st to join new colour. Chain 2. 2dc in next stich, 1 dc in each of next two stitches, then 2 dc in next stitch. 1 dc in each of next two stitches, then 2 dc in next stitch. 1 hdc in next stitch then 1 sc in each remaining stitch around. Close with a sl st to top chain 2.





5rd: Ch 2, 1 hdc in each of next 11 st, 1 sc in each remaining stitch around. Chain 1, close with sl to chain 2.


6rd: Ch 2, 1 hdc in each of next 11 st. Chain 1, close with sl to the next stich. Bind off.




Ears (2x)
Same colour as Round 4 from body
Work in rounds – don’t close!
1rd: Work in magic circle. 4 sc in circle.
2rd: 2sc in each stich around.


3rd: (1 sc in next 3 stiches, 2 sc in next stiches) x2
4-5 rd: 1 sc in each stich around.

Eyes  
(2x, green or yellow yarn)
Make sure to use lighter yarn!
1 rd: Work in magic circle. Ch1. 2 sc, hdc, ch1, dc, ch1, 2 sc, hdc, ch1, dc, ch1. Close with sl st.

Embroider eyes by stitching black lines to the middle of the eye (I did 3 lines).




Finish


Sew eyes to the body.
Sew a snout on the face (see picture) with some pink yarn. As you can see on the pictures of the two different cats, you can give the kittens different personalities by sewing the snout and the eyes into different places.

Hold the two body pieces together (wrong sides should face each other). Sew together and stuff.


Sew ears to the head part. Form a little half circle while sewing one to give the ears texture.

Whiskers: Cut 4 strings of black yarn. Pull underneath the snout and cut to desired length.


Done! :-)

Did you find any errors or have troubles with anything in the pattern? Please drop me a line, so I can fix it! Thanks!

Take care,
Anne


9 comments :

  1. Aww! Love your cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, I'm making one right now. I think, however, in rounds two and three that the repeat should be 13 times and not 11, as we started off with 14 repeats. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, you are totally right! Thank you so much! I will change it straight away!!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! I have already made this, I had forgotten it was your pattern! :-)

    ReplyDelete