Saturday 12 March 2016

Translating the Frida's Flowers CAL

Hi there!

How are you doing? My last weeks have been rather busy with lots of different things. 

For one thing, I finished another post-graduate certificate. I am now a university certified coach. As you might know, I coach academic writing and esp. phd-candidates in addition to my regular job. Now I have the official degree to do it :P I am thinking about becoming semi-self-employed that this year. There are a lot of things to consider and lots of paperwork, so it might take some time before it actually happens. Cross your fingers and wish me luck! :)


The other thing which kept me busy was my translation work for Stylecraft. As Michelle mentioned earlier last week, I am translating the new CAL, the Frida's Flowers Blanket pattern, to German. I am really happy to be able to work on this exciting project and quite honestly I can't wait to see all the blankets made from it! I will crochet the blanket too and guess what? It is the first CAL I am ever taking part in!


Translating sounds much easier than it sounds. The "text" parts are quicker to translate than the actual pattern. When I crochet, I use English patterns 99% of the time because the crochet language is so much easier. Oh and I learnt to crochet properly in English, so all my knowledge regarding crochet is stored in the English part of my brain. ;-) The German crochet language doesn't have nice and short abbreviations like 2sctog, so that makes the pattern a lot longer. With some rows, the German version is twice as long as the English original. 


I am finished with the first two patterns and the get ready document and I will spend my Sunday translating the introductions to all the patterns. Phew! There are six more patterns to follow but I hope I can be a bit quicker with these now that I got the hang of it. Translating the first two took over five hours.


Oh and next to the translation stuff, I am also working on my cosy blanket. It is growing, in fact I am about 60 % done. I really need to hurry up. It has to be finished by the 20.5. but as the CAL starts on the 5.4. I want to be done with this blanket by then, so that I can work on the Frida's Flowers Blanket!


What is keeping you busy at the moment?

Take care
Anne

5 comments :

  1. Dear Anne, congrats for your new certificate! It is alwyas a relief to have passed an exam, isn't it? Your cosy blanket looks wonderful, I like the colours you have chosen. I haven't heard of the 'Frida's FLower Blanket' but I am curious and I will have a look at it. Translating crochet patterns is really hard, I guess, because German terms are so different from the English ones. Hats off that you are doing it! Viola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your certificated and good luck at being self-employed! I love the Cosy Blanket, I admired it at Lucy's Blog when she first introduced it. I really want to crochet a rainbow blanket for our new house (I have about a year until we will move) and I haven't decided on the pattern yet. A ripple blanket would probably also look great!
    Good luck with the translating! I translated a short pattern for a hat for my mother once and it took me FOREVER! It's really hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Anne, on your latest achievements - your new qualifications and your translation work. It is always nice to have that piece of paper even though you might have already had the skills for a while. Good luck with your self-employment. I wish you every success.
    What's keeping me busy? My family life and autumn planting. A little bit of crochet on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty, Anne, it makes my fingers tingle wanting to crochet something.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your qualification - well done! I love the colours in your blanket - they're gorgeous. And gardening is keeping me busy at the moment (apart from work, of course). these longer evenings are great, even if it has turned a bit colder lately. Have a good weekend!
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete