Wednesday 11 February 2015

Cross-Craftiness!

I blame the Fox Collection - if it wasn't for the most gorgeous cross-stitch in their last catalogue I would probably have done much more crochet this week! 

Instead, I have devised a system for myself. I need to get one road trip scarf made during the days at home, then in the evening I'm allowed to do something else - be that cross-stitch, working on Sophie, or another project.


It seems to be working for me! I have 12 scarves all ready to be tagged and bagged for my market stall in June! And one more half-way done :) I am really enjoying the Yarn Bee Aurora Borealis Yarn all the way from the USA - not only is it chunkier than my usual 8 ply and so works up faster, it's so soft and squishy. Why can't it be winter already so I can wear one! 

So now that I've done the "work" part of things, here is my new cross stitch :) It's called Winter Sparkle, and is based on a painting by Megan Duncanson. 






Terrifyingly, it has 92 different colours, and 24 A4 pages of pattern. It should keep me entertained for a good long time! 

Today I've also been playing with puffy paint to make the soles of my Crocodile Stitch Booties non-slip. As you can see, I probably should stick to crochet or cross-stitch - my drawing skills leave a lot to be desired! The way this paint works is that you draw on the fabric/material, leave it to dry for 5 hours and then use the hairdryer to make it puff up. I've already puffed the paint on the little yellow ones - the others will get the hairdryer after dinner tonight :) 


No progress to report on my Sophie's Universe this week - I promised my sister that we could do Week 5 together at our Crafternoons@Meadowbank gathering on Sunday! However, she has been catching up to the end of week 4...


And has even started teaching one of her workmates! I am wildly jealous of their Lunchtime Crochet Club!



I am very much looking forward to seeing how our three (very) different Sophie colour schemes work up as the CAL goes on :) 

13 comments :

  1. Hey, you do cross stitch, too! 92 colors is scary. Good luck and it will look great when finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, I love building up the pattern bit by bit :) There are pictures of my last two finished cross-stitches on my first post: http://crochetbetweentwoworlds.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/a-glorious-saturday-in-sydney.html

      Delete
  2. 92 colors?? No wonder you're scared! xD I've never stitched something THAT difficult, in fact I enjoyed quick patterns, more primitive style, to give you the idea - but I must say that the painting it is based on is wonderful, so I'm sure it'll turn out amazing!
    I like the soles of your boots, too, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's a bit crazy! I do love my difficult cross-stitches though, there's photos of a few on a very old post: http://crochetbetweentwoworlds.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/a-glorious-saturday-in-sydney.html

      Delete
  3. That cross stitch looks like it will take you quite a while! But it will be lovely when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy the doing of it, not just having it finished! It's like my mum - she has a cupboard full of amazing, completed cross-stitches, but the enjoyment is in the stitching, not necessarily having it up on the wall :)

      Delete
  4. How on earth do you find the time to do so much crafting, you lucky thing? I don't know how you do it and am in awe of your productivity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do much else! I also like to do smaller projects, or staged projects, so I feel much more productive :P

      Delete
  5. Hello Michelle! I saw your scarves earlier and thought they look nice!!! <3
    Wow, you are keeping very busy!
    Have a good week!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Michelle, you are really a busy crocheter! I wish I could be so productive. I like your scarfs a lot, they are colourful and look warm and cosy. I admire your passion for cross stitch. The picture you chose is beautiful. Have a nice week, Viola

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your work! I have been searching for your pattern for the white afghan with little pops of color (block stitch maybe)) without success. Please, can you tell me where to find it? Sending gracious thank yous in advance!

    ReplyDelete